8 Ways Jewelry Retailers Can Improve In 2018
There will always be areas that can be improved in jewelry retailing simply because jewelry is an emotional purchase for most of us. Emili Vesilind wrote of 50 ways to improve your store right now in her JCKonline article. These break down into 8 general areas where you could ask yourself some questions. The answers may be just what you need to improve your own jewelry business in the coming year:
- Merchandising — Do you work to make attractive displays, mixing vintage pieces with new inventory? Is there a frequent rotation of merchandise and areas where shoppers can handle items without assistance?
- Events — Have you created a consumer advisory council to brainstorm non-jewelry events like art receptions, local shopping tours, or community benefits? Do you offer exclusive jewelry events for loyal customers?
- Staff & Training — Do you adapt your training to your staff’s individual selling styles? Do you discourage detrimental behaviors like gossip and encourage product storytelling in entertaining ways?
- Service — Is your store a comfortable place to be, with familiar drinks to make waiting easier? Do you offer a charging station for phones and dedicated tablets for kids to play with while parents shop? Are customers aware of service offerings like custom design or repairs?
- Sales — Do your weekly sales meetings include gemological education? Are you employing direct mail campaigns and traffic counters? Are staff dressed in business casual and personalizing customer greetings?
- Website — How easy is it to find details about your business online? How often do you update information on products? Do you offer free shipping and returns? Does your site show in-store exclusives to bring online shoppers to your door? Can online shoppers personalize jewelry orders?
- Social Media — How comfortable are you with social media? Does your business take advantage of the many ways your customers can interact with you digitally? Are you willing to expand your presence on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the rest?
- Decor — How clean and uncluttered is your store from back to front? Are glass cases in the showroom cleaned with stuff that smells good (but not overpowering)? Does your holiday decoration show creativity instead of standard commercial items? Do you regularly utilize fresh floral arrangements?
Each of these areas are places to evaluate in the coming year. Improving them will make a positive difference in your business but one of the best improvements for jewelry retailers is using ChainDrive for Jewelry Retailers. Software that lets you automatically integrate all the data your business generates frees your staff to do more with your customers.