Managing the Uniqueness of Jewelry Retail
Retail jewelers have a unique business model and some unique retail challenges that other types of retail stores typically don’t encounter. For that reason, you deserve a different kind of solution that can assist you in managing those unique aspects of your retail business.
Below are some tips to help you manage the uniqueness of jewelry retail.
- Track your custom orders – In the jewelry business, customers want unique items all the time. You may have customers ordering off-the-shelf products with unique features. Wedding rings, and other fitted jewelry must conform to the wearer’s size. You need a software that will help you manage custom orders, track and monitor their progress, and communicate with customers about their orders efficiently.
- Manage product creation – Because jewelry is often customized, you may end up creating products from scratch. If you’re a jeweler who makes your own products, then a software solution that helps you manage that process is a necessity.
- Keep up with warranties and serial numbers – Again, this gets back to customization. Warranties may not be customized, but you do need a way to keep up with warranties so that you can manage returns, repairs, and such. Also, jewelry is often cataloged with serial numbers, so managing your inventory by serializing each product should be as seamless as ordering it.
- Appraisals – The jewelry business is a value business. You’ll have customers who want their own jewelry appraised for value. You need to manage that process and keep up with the values of products in case they come back to sell. How much does value fluctuate between the appraisal period and the time of sell? Good record keeping can help you manage that.
- Manage every customer with care – A good jewelry retail solution will help you manage every case with great customer care. Whether a customer is buying new, repaired, or used jewelry, or whether they are seeking a repair or appraisal, you need to manage every single case with customized customer service.
- The repair process – When a customer walks in to get their jewelry repaired–whether they purchased it at your store or not–you need to be able to track the order, see at a glance what the issue is, and know the status of every repair order at a glance.
Managing a jewelry repair business is a unique retail challenge. You can only get it right if you have the right tools.